Thursday, August 13, 2009

Adding Chistmas Ferns to My Hosta Gardens

My kingdom consists of many ecosystems, including an assortment of wild flowers, weeds, and Christmas Ferns. My favorite word is FREE so the idea of adding FREE Christmas Ferns to my hosta gardens was a no brainer.

In case you didn't know, The Christmas fern, (Polystichum acrostichoides), is an evergreen fern, and one of the most shade tolerant members of its species. Like most ferns, Christmas Ferns reproduce by spores. How cool! A plethora of free Christmas Ferns that reproduce annually. I'm set thanks to mother nature and her abundances, in this case, an abundance of free Christmas Ferns growing throughout my kingdom on the hills and valley walls.

As I was moving the Christmas Ferns, I was amazed with how easy it was to transplant. I simply used a shovel to dig up the soil around the Christmas Fern. I kept a large ball of its soil around the roots of the Christmas fern and moved it into my chosen transplanted spot.

My hosta gardens now have the spirit of Christmas, Christmas Ferns that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment