Friday, July 17, 2009

My Hosta Obsession: From the Beginning!


Welcome to Tim’s wonderful world of Hosta obsession, from the beginning. I haven’t been a hosta plant lover forever, as a matter of fact my obsession for this hardy perennial began about 5 years ago. However, I am writing to inform you today that I am and will be forever; splitting, planting, sharing, writing, and dreaming of more ways to share my passion with others.

It all began in 2003 when my brother and I inherited 40 acres of jungle like woods from my grandparents. The “Woods” was nothing more than an old pasture of trees that was untouched for approximately 50 years. Through poison ivy, burned up chainsaws, foot spiked with a Hawthorne needle, and numerous other gruesome stories to share, the woods became a great place to dream, sort of like the great Katherine Paterson's classic young adult novel, Bridge to Terebithia. I had my very own Kingdom to play or should I say, to plant, hosta planting! Check out my very first hosta seedling in the top picture on the left.

Over the course of 5 years, I have continued to collect, split and grow my own hosta’s. It is my goal to learn all I can about this easy to grow, shade loving perennial that I have grown so fond of and to share my knowledge and interest with others. My collection is varied and growing more and more as I visit nurseries, friend’s home, and other places willing to share my passion for the hosta plant.

If anyone is visiting Central Ohio and would like to see my favorite place to see a wonderful array of hosta plants, Wade and Gatton Nurseries is a must see stop. They have an unbelievable collection of hosta plants and other perennials.

If you have any favorite hosta places in Ohio that you think would be a great place to visit, please email with the location.

No comments:

Post a Comment